If Washington is Out of Touch its Our Fault
Maybe I'm slow, or maybe our elected representatives are completely out of touch with the majority of Americans. If you're sitting there, like me, scratching your head and boiling mad about the immigration and illegal alien issues, and wondering how anyone can vote for a guest worker program or against closing the borders or against deportation, then it's not the lawmakers we should be mad at. It's the American public. Have you emailed, called, faxed, visited, or otherwise let your Senators, Representatives, President Bush, and our Vice-President how you feel on the issue? Have you told everyone you can to do the same? I guarantee you that if everyone that voted for an American Idol contestant this week got in touch with their elected officials, the bill that comes out of Washington would be very, very different that what they're working on now. How many of the average people on the street are fed up with the problem but have done nothing about it? The answer is most of them.
I watched President Bush on TV Monday night [see this post for my reaction
], a President I was intensely proud of after 9/11, and I was very disappointed. What has happened? We, the American public assume, not act. We must act. Otherwise how can our leaders know what we want?
Sure President Bush's speech sounded good at first, but a guest worker program is amnesty no matter how you try to spin it - look up amnesty in the dictionary.
Any illegal alien or immigrant that commits a crime (more serious than speeding) should be deported - there's no need to let them have three misdemeanors before deporting them.
Slapping illegal aliens with a fine and letting them live here while working on citizenship IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Worrying about what anyone in Mexico thinks about us putting up a fence and guarding our own border is absolutely ludicrous (as for Ted Kennedy, sir, I think that a big fence sends the exact message that the majority of Americans want sent).
And, while I'm thinking about it, how can Mexico or any of its citizens sue us or anyone in the United States for building a fence or apprehending illegal aliens on American soil?
This is what I want, and I think this is what most Americans want:
- We must put an end to Federal and State support of illegal aliens and illegal immigrants (financial support like Social Security).
- We must close up and secure our borders.
- We must give warning that we will not tolerate gangs, drugs, and criminals coming across the border and that will arm our military with lethal force and allow them to use it.
- We must stop granting citizenship automatically to infants born on American soil of parents that are illegal aliens or illegal immigrants.
- We do not want a guest worker program.
- We want illegal aliens and illegal immigrants rounded up and deported.
- We do not want a path to citizenship for illegal aliens and illegal immigrants.
- We want laws that protect American citizens from being sued for protecting their property and possessions.
We must keep passing the word about this and asking people to get involved. Take my short list of above items and send it to your elected officials. Get your friends, neighbors to do the same.
Until Next Time,